- Job Description
- Comparison of Job Description and Jobs Specification
Job Specification Definition
Job specifications can define as a document that contains a set of qualifications. Such as educational and professional, personality traits, skills, and experience to perform a job or a function in an organization. The job specification is stem from job analysis.
Importance of Job Specification
Jobs can have many different types and required various skills set to achieve the task. The importance of the job specification is understanding the specific requirement of each job. It consists of many components. Such as, an educational background, working experience, and character of the person who required to hire for the job. Recruiting companies can use this specification to hire the relevant candidates. Then shortlist the resumes by comparing them with this. To sum up, the importance of the job specification is, it provides all the specific details that need to perform the required job.
- The main purpose of the job specification is to gather job-related data to advertise. Then hire the right candidate for a specific job.
- It describes what should convey in a specific activity. It explains what workers should do whenever they chose for that particular employment opportunity.
- Above all, it gives better information to selecting staff. Such as, what sort of candidate is required by a specific office or division to play out a duty or employment.
- It also makes manifest who will report to whom.
There are four main contents of a job specification for any job profile.
- Educational Qualification: This component shows the academic and professional qualifications for a specific job. As well as it covers the school education, graduate degree, Master’s degree, Ph.D., and other professional certificates
- Experience: Job specification should mention the field of work experience. It should also contains the its related domain with the number of years. It also can further describe the industry, position, duration, and duties.
- Skills and Knowledge: This also an important component, especially for skill-based hiring. Need to list hard skills and relevant soft skills like leadership, teamwork, and communication
- Personality traits and characteristics: This characteristic represents how a person behaves in a specific situation, such as problem-solving, working on a critical deadline, and emotional intelligence.
Example of Job Specification
Here is a sample specification for Software Engineer
|Education||Must have a degree in IT from a reputed institute|
|Work Experience||At least 4 years of experience in a similar capacity|
|Skills and Knowledge||1. Should have a good understanding of one or more skills in the below (.Net / Java / Python / SQL / Machine Learning)|
2. Must be a good communicator, especially the candidate must be able to drive a team.
3. Strong analytical skills and problem-solving skills
4. Handling deployment, unit testing, debugging, and maintain code quality.
|Personality Traits||1. Should have excellent presentation skills|
2. Should be able to work under pressure
3. Build a good relationship with the client
Advantages of Job Specification
There are a plethora of benefits to the job specification. Below listed some advantages.
- Job specification provides comprehensive details of the required job to perform
- It helps recruiters to shortlist and filter candidates .
- HR managers can easily prepare training and other training documents that related to a specific job
- It also benefits companies during performance appraisal and job advancements
Disadvantages of Job Specification
Conversely, there are a few limitations of this. Some of the cons listed below.
- It takes lots of time to create this comprehensive document
- The job description is valid for only a specific period.
- It consists of overall work experience and qualifications, but it cannot specify the complex requirement
What is the Job Description
A Job Description or also called JD consists of details such as job title, job summary, job location, nature, and objectives of a job, tasks, and duties to be performed. It also consists, working conditions, machines, tools, and equipment to be used by a prospective worker and hazards involved in it.
Differences between a Job Description and a Job Specification
There few differences between job description and specification, such as content, measures, usefulness, and benefits.
What do you mean by job specification?
Job Specification is a document that contains many components. For example, the knowledge, skills, and abilities that are required to perform a job in an organization.
Why is job specification important?
The importance of this document is, it helps recruit the right person. It also helps to hire the ideal candidate for the job by considering education, work experience, and other qualifications.
What is included in a job specification?
As can be seen, Educational Qualifications, Work Experience, Skills, and Personality traits